WineTalent is working with our Napa Valley client to find a California Direct Trade Sales Manager.
About the company: WineTalent’s client is a premium producer of Bordeaux varietals, grown organically on the estate in the heart of the Napa Valley. With a rich history of grapegrowing and winemaking in the Napa Valley, the winery is one of the area’s historic wineries that has transitioned gracefully into the new millennium.
About the Opportunity: WineTalent is seeking a Direct Trade Manager to manage the California direct sales market for the company. There are established trade accounts throughout California, and this role is responsible for managing the current accounts while also opening up new accounts statewide. This job requires a self-starter who can manage their day-to-day activities to fulfill the needs of customers while also driving new account development. This person will also work closely with the winery’s staff to determine California sales goals, determine future production volumes and manage wine allocations to existing buyers. The Direct Trade Manager will also be involved in inventory tracking, managing budgets, maintaining the customer database and identifying and implementing new information management systems to create efficiencies for the company and the sales team.
A successful Direct Trade Sales Manager will do the following:
· Manage current relationships with trade accounts. Determine opportunities to increase sales volume and new programs for individual accounts.
· Always be prospecting for new accounts.
· Introduce new buyers to the wines and incorporating these accounts into the company’s sales program.
· Manage your schedule to include frequent visits to your major markets. This includes both Northern and Southern California markets with equal attention paid to both markets. Underperforming markets will be identified and given additional attention until performance has improved.
· Incorporate sales calls to new accounts while promoting existing relationships.
· The Direct Trade Sales Manager will also work with the winery team to establish long term and annual case and account sales targets by SKU and sales channel.
· Work independently to promote the wines and foster long term relationships with buyers throughout the state.
· Act as an ambassador for the brands at trade and consumer events throughout California. This will include events at the winery.
· The Direct Trade Manager is an enthusiastic promoter of the wines, the winery and the business’s relationships at all times.
· All sales interactions will be recorded in the winery’s account database to build on the knowledge base and leverage customer needs with selling opportunities.
· Manage your travel schedule to use your time effectively both in your local market and in markets that require airline and overnight travel. This will include managing travel costs to maximize time with customers while minimizing expenses whenever possible.
· Work with the winery’s accounting team to manage accounts including initial set-up, billings, inventory management and allocations.
· Communicate regularly with the management team to discuss accounts, buying patterns and any areas of concern.
What the Job Requires:
· Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications or related field. Candidates with work experience in lieu of a degree will also be considered.
· At least 3 years of direct account selling experience in the entire California territory.
· Budgeting and reporting experience.
· Understanding of wholesale and account pricing and programming.
· Ability to work independently and manage multiple and changing priorities.
· Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
· A strong knowledge and a passion for wine and the industry as a whole.
· Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
· Knowledgeable in office management systems including MS Office, Excel, Outlook and Google Docs.
· Must possess a valid driver’s license.
· Able to lift and carry 50 lbs.
· This position will be headquartered in a home office with frequent car and airplane travel throughout the state.
· When responding to the needs of the management team and the customers, the schedule can change as needed and will include long hours during peak seasons and during special events. This can include night and weekend hours.
About WineTalent: WineTalent is a wine industry focused recruitment company. We work closely with our clients and our job seekers to find the right fit of talents, experience and work environment.
WineTalent: The Right People for the Job
All inquiries will be kept strictly confidential