WineTalent is working with our confidential client to find a Cellarmaster to manage the day-to-day cellar operations at a luxury Napa Valley property.
About the Company: Our client is a boutique winery with an unparalleled commitment to excellence. The winery is sourcing fruit from highly respected vineyards throughout the Napa Valley. With a superb winemaking program and world-class production facility, the wines are consistently warranting top accolades in the wine world.
About the Position: The Cellarmaster is responsible for oversight of the cellar operations. The position reports directly into the Winemaker. This position will be managing the cellar team, including hiring and training harvest interns. The Cellarmaster is a key role in all winemaking operations, and will be heavily relied upon to manage wine movements, sanitation protocols, work orders, database management, dry good and packaging inventories, and oversee bottling operations. This role will also keep all Standard Operating Procedures up to date and will be part of the Safety Committee.
- Responsible for the day-to-day cellar operations and will assist in the winemaking process.
- Responsible for cellar sanitation, routine equipment maintenance, supply ordering and managing the chemical and supply inventory.
- Foster an environment of teamwork with the cellar team and mentor team to maximize operations.
- Assist to develop, update and maintain cellar and winemaking SOP’s.
- Schedule all preventative maintenance on cellar equipment and act as main point of contact for vendors.
- Troubleshoot and fix issues that arise, with appropriate escalation of issues as warranted.
- Maintain current SOPs and implement and train cellar staff on SOPs.
- Create and execute work orders. Keep track of all activities in the cellar.
- Maintain all related wine databases including bulk wine inventory, maturity evolution, etc.
- Effectively use winery software and database systems including Vintrace, Excel, Slack, and Dropbox.
- Working with the Winemaker and operations team, determine harvest staffing levels. Recruit, hire, and manage harvest interns.
- Monitor active fermentations.
- Participate in all Safety Committee meetings. Ensure facility meets OSHA requirements. Train all staff on activities they will be doing.
- Coordinate procurement and logistics related to bottling, barrels, harvest, and CAPEX equipment.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Viticulture and Enology, Winemaking, Fermentation Science, Food Science or closely related discipline. Work experience in lieu of a degree will also be strongly considered.
- At least 8 years of winery work experience.
- Proven understanding of quality winemaking production practices.
- Experience using Vintrace or a similar wine production tracking system. Familiarity and ability to use MS Excel, Dropbox and Slack as well as other productivity tools.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Detail-oriented work habits and strong organizational skills required.
- Calm demeanor and ability to maintain composure in stressful situations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Forklift operator.
- Physical ability to move up to 50 pounds and handle physical demands of cellar work.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
About WineTalent: WineTalent is a wine industry focused recruitment company. We work closely with our clients and our job seekers to find the right fit of talents, experience and work environment. All inquiries will be kept strictly confidential.
Please email resume and all inquiries to email@example.com