WineTalent is working with our client, Oliver Winery and Vineyards, on a Cellarmaster position at their headquarters in Bloomington, Indiana.
About the Company: Founded in 1972, Oliver Winery is now one of the largest wineries in the U.S., having recently been recognized as the 29th ranked winery in the US based on size and possesses a leading growth rate. Oliver’s high quality, innovative and consumer-focused approach to winemaking continues to attract new fans across the U.S. with products such as Oliver Blueberry Moscato. Boosted by its enhanced footprint, increased points of distribution and partnerships with national retailers, Oliver Winery finished 2020 with over 700,000 cases sold and a 40% year-over-year growth rate.
About the Position: The Cellarmaster provides oversight and training to the cellar staff while working as a member of the production team. The Cellarmaster plays a key role in ensuring winemaking processes are performed accurately and efficiently. The ideal candidate brings demonstrated industry and leadership experience and a commitment to upholding quality standards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the winemaking team in daily activities with emphasis on high level equipment operation and maintenance.
- Trains and supervises cellar team.
- Performs quarterly & annual reviews by utilizing and updating the team skills matrix.
- Ensures quality of cellar work and sanitation.
- Leads training of cellar staff in SOPs.
- Assists in the development and modification of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Approves time cards and PTO requests.
- Reviews daily and weekly schedule and allocates work orders to qualified cellar workers.
- Assists with and proactively assesses equipment maintenance in collaboration with Director of Operations and Equipment Mechanic. Performs maintenance as needed.
- Takes ownership of reduction in wine losses associated with cellar activities (centrifuging, DE filtration, and wine movement in general).
- Manages CO2/Gas supply inventory.
- Manages cellar hardware & ensures adherence to 5S standards.
- Properly communicates equipment maintenance needs.
- Acts as equipment “owner” of clarification equipment.
- Understands operating principles of all clarification equipment and instruments.
- Will work with Director of Operations to ensure maintenance is completed in a timely manner.
- Performs winemaking tasks as needed according to SOPs.
- Assists with bottling line operation as needed according to SOPs.
- Additional duties, as assigned by the Management.
- Minimum of 6 years winery cellar experience.
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree or equivalent combination of coursework and work history.
- Experience managing a small team of production/manufacturing workers.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to be insured on company vehicles.
- Work well in a team environment.
- Be able to work efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Due to the nature of our business, must be over 21 years of age.
Employee Benefits & Perks:
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and supplemental benefit packages.
- Generous PTO and Paid Holidays.
- Employer 401(k) matching program of up to 6% of annual compensation.
- Paid training and meetings. Opportunities for professional development.
- Access to Oliver Winery and Vineyards’ award-winning Live Well wellness.
- Relocation assistance available.
About WineTalent: WineTalent is a wine industry focused recruitment company. We work closely with our clients and our job seekers to find the right fit of talents, experience and work environment. All inquiries will be kept strictly confidential.
WineTalent: The Right People for the Job