WineTalent is working with our confidential client to find a Director of Vineyard Operations to manage the company’s vineyard farming and viticulture practices.
About the Company: Our client is a family owned and operated vineyard and winery with over 2500 acres in the Central Coast. The vineyards are certified sustainable by the California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance.
About the Position: The Director of Vineyard Operations is responsible for creating an innovative and sustainable agriculture focused strategy for the vineyards. The Director will manage the grape supply and create an ongoing sustainability strategy. This role will focus on quality winegrape farming while managing cost, safety, teamwork and sustainability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible to drive vision, strategy, and tactical execution of company vineyard function
- Accountable for all aspects of running the vineyard as a business unit by ensuring that fruit is produced to specification and that key business objectives are achieved through the application of best practices in the vineyard
- Develops and manages capital and operating budgets that support the achievement of business objectives
- Normally manages through subordinate supervisory/managerial levels in order to ensure the effective pursuit and completion of projects within budgetary guidelines while upholding high standards of excellence
- Directs and oversees disease and pest control, proper pruning, tying, suckering, frost and heat control
- Maintains close supervision of crews during harvesting of field; generates quality, cleanliness and tonnage records
- Hires, directs, and trains personnel in the areas of scheduling, methods, safety, and rules and regulations related to vineyard functions
- Adheres to all local, state, federal and sustainability required rules and regulations. Ensures all permits and reporting are compliant
- Conduct safety-training sessions and ensure field compliance with labor laws and other regulatory requirements. Monitor safety and health related practices in the field. Provide information necessary to prepare reports on labor and regulatory compliance
- Visit vineyards on a regular basis to oversee progress and quality of work performed by vineyard staff
- Conduct necessary meetings to effectively communicate work priorities to vineyard staff
- Handle employee disciplinary problems
- May be involved in or responsible for contract vineyard negotiations and/ or grower relations
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS or MA Degree in viticulture, plant science, horticulture, agronomy or related discipline
- 5+ years of work experience in a large vineyard management company
- Keen knowledge of modern viticulture and mechanization practices
- PCA license preferred
- Demonstrated success in effectively dealing with staff, clients, vendors, public and private agencies.
- Strong partnering skills and ability to work with a team
- Computer skills including MS Office, Excel and PowerPoint and practical competence with agriculture-oriented computer applications
- Strong leadership and development skills
- Ability to work overtime (extended hours and weekends) as required
- Spanish language skills highly desirable
- Clean DMV record
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- Competitive compensation depending on experience plus benefits including medical, dental and 401K
About WineTalent: WineTalent is a wine industry focused recruitment company. We work closely with our clients and our job seekers to find the right fit of talents, experience and work environment. All inquiries will be kept strictly confidential.