WineTalent is working with our client Michael David Winery on a Regional Sales Manager to manage wine sales in California and Hawaii
About the Company: Producers of iconic brands such as Freakshow, Petite Petit and Earthquake, Michael David Winery is a tour de force as one of the leading wineries in the United States, distributing nationwide and in more than 30 countries. Brothers Michael and David Phillips are 5th generation grape growers whose family has cultivated wine grapes in the Lodi region for nearly a century. Founded in 1984 with little more than an old barn, a used press and a few barrels on a dirt floor, the Phillips brothers released their first commercial wine under the Phillips Vineyards label after years of growing grapes for other wineries. Now celebrating over 35 years as a bonded winery, Michael David Winery has over 800 acres of vineyards in the Lodi Appellation and prides itself on being family owned and operated while practicing meticulous farming and sustainable wine grape growing, resulting in superior quality in the bottle. Selected as Wine Enthusiast’s 2020 American Winery of the Year, Michael David wines regularly take top awards and recognition nationally.
About the Position: The CA and HI Regional Sales Manager is based from a home office in Los Angeles or Orange County. The Regional Sales Manager will oversee a Northern California Sales Manager. The Regional Sales Manager will be responsible for leadership and account management in delivering volume and meeting company distribution goals, increasing profitability, and reinforcing the company’s needs and go-to-market strategies in line with distributor framework to gain share of mind and attention. This role is also responsible for ensuring the company’s strategic imperatives and local KPI’s are achieved.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Selling to all channels in territory including regional chains, restaurants, and independent retail.
- Working closely with distributor management in all facets, scheduling and conducting monthly planning meetings, market work (work withs), sales team training, GSMs, business reviews, distributor chargebacks, wine dinners and events throughout the assigned markets.
- Manages the execution of standards within RNDC, including holding the distributor accountable to meet goals and implement market plans effectively.
- Perform conscientious and efficient budget management which maximizes company profitability and resources in the most effective manner.
- Responsible for managing and mentoring one direct report in Northern California.
- Executing against the CA AOP and budget, pricing, profit analysis, programming, monitoring monthly numbers and inventory to ensure the assigned territory is performing to goal.
- Communicate with winery management on daily activities, market observations and develop plans to capitalize on opportunities observed in the market.
- Work closely with the MDW chain team and assist where needed in executing national programs both on and off premise.
- Develop and maintain a close relationship with key accounts in CA. This will include local, regional, and national accounts on & off Premise.
- Manage inventory, distributor brand mix and rotation, special needs and sales programs.
- Training and inspiring distributor personnel to perform at maximum capability.
- Ensuring distributor personnel have all the necessary tools to make successful presentations.
- Collects, analyzes, reports, and communicates all pertinent sales, distribution, financial and personnel -information from all distributors.
- Administer budgets, weekly recaps, monthly reporting, calendars, pricing reports, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Marketing, Communications or related. Work experience in lieu of a degree will also be considered.
- The qualified candidate must have a minimum of 4+ years of supplier and/or distributor experience in the wine industry (preferably in the wine industry) and proven account equity in the California Region.
- Pricing and programming knowledge, negotiation skills, distributor management, presentation skills and a firm understanding of the wine market.
- Must possess a strong work ethic and drive for success
- Travel is required in the local market as well as overnight trips throughout California. Travel to Hawaii is approximately twice yearly.
- Proficiency in VIP, Vistaar, MicroStrategy software; Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook and Office
Compensation and Benefits:
- This is a full-time, salaried position with incentive bonus potential.
- Competitive compensation depending on experience plus benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off and 401(k).
About WineTalent: WineTalent is a wine industry focused recruitment company. We work closely with our clients and our job seekers to find the right fit of talents, experience and work styles. All inquiries will be kept strictly confidential.
WineTalent: The Right People for the Job