WineTalent is working with Roederer Estate on a Vineyard Manager search in Anderson Valley, CA
About the Company: Roederer Estate is the California outpost of Champagne Louis Roederer. The Anderson Valley property was selected in 1982 to ensure the highest quality wine would be produced for the estate winery. Today there are 620 acres of estate vineyards farmed. The vineyards are managed under Anderson Vineyards, Inc., and produce grapes for Roederer USA’s still and sparkling wine programs.
About the Position: The Vineyard Manager for Anderson Vineyards, Inc. will be responsible for the supervision, coordination and management of the farming activities over several different ranches within a 14-mile radius in the Anderson Valley. This position works closely with the Director of Vineyard Operations to ensure the quality and consistency of all viticulture practices, while promoting the level of farming through sustainable and organic farming practices.
- Working with the Director of Vineyard Operations the Vineyard Manager prepares the annual farming schedule; implements vineyard plan; organizes purchases, schedules the work for vineyard crews, and manages equipment and resources necessary to safely and efficiently produce the highest quality grapes.
- Assists with crop management, pest management and data collection. Uses collected data to implement the appropriate form of pest management following best management practices. Maintains phenological records for crop data, historical farming data (budbreak, weather, frost, field experiments, etc.).
- Prepares spray program for insect and disease prevention. Gathers specific information needed to calibrate equipment for applications, while working closely with team to deploy applications.
- Works with vineyard Foreman and Crew Leaders to ensure quality and quantity standards are being met.
- Records vineyard employee’s hours worked and allocates time to project/task using AgCode.software. Ensures accuracy of records, hours worked and data collected.
- Oversees activities of foreman and vineyard staff. Participates in training of field workers, foreman and vineyard staff.
- Monitors growth of vines, vine water needs, frost protection and pest and disease pressure. Follows nutrition and fertilization needs of vines.
- Assists with preparing and deploying vineyard development and replanting projects.
- Coordinates harvesting activities working under tight deadlines.
- Develops crop estimates and collects samples to monitor fruit maturity. Maintains crop records.
- Ensures compliance with company policies, procedures, and government regulations.
- Promotes and demonstrates safety compliance to employees.
- Submits recommendations for hire or termination to Director of Vineyard Operations.
- Other essential duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Viticulture and Enology, Agronomy, Plant Science, Plant Physiology or related field desired. Work experience in lieu of a degree will also be considered.
- 5 years of viticulture experience working with a reputable vineyard operation with crew supervision. Experience or interest in organic and biodynamic farming is preferable.
- Bilingual English and Spanish language skills, both written and verbal. Excellent interpersonal and professional communication skills required.
- Attention to detail and good organization skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours. Work can include stressful condition and various outdoor climates. Ability to manage projects, juggle shifting priorities and meet project deadlines.
- Clean driving record and valid CA driver’s license.
- Skilled in tractor driving, using specialized farm implements and the ability to troubleshoot equipment issues.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Compensation and Benefits:
- This is a full-time, salaried position. The anticipated initial compensation range is $65,000 to $85,000.
- Competitive compensation depending on experience plus benefits including medical, dental and LTD coverage, paid time off, cell phone reimbursement, work truck, 401(k) and a profit-sharing plan.
About WineTalent: WineTalent is a wine industry focused recruitment company. We work closely with our clients and our job seekers to find the right fit of talents, experience and work environment. All inquiries will be kept strictly confidential.
WineTalent: The Right People for the Job