WineTalent is working with Wente Vineyards on a Winemaker Search in the Livermore Valley.
About the Company: Wente Vineyards is the country’s longest, continuously operated family-owned winery, founded in 1883. Blending traditional and innovative winemaking practices, Wente draws from their estate vineyards in the Livermore Valley and Arroyo Seco, Monterey appellations to create an outstanding portfolio of fine wines. Wente is also one of California’s premier wine country destinations featuring wine tasting, dining, concert experiences, championship golf and more.
About the Position: The Winemaker, under the leadership of the Senior Winemaker, provides the creative and technical direction to produce world-class wines. Role will be responsible for all aspects of daily winemaking from grapes to glass. A well-honed technical palate and the ability to analyze and interpret technical information is a must. Winemaker drives performance by effective cross-functional communication and inspirational role modeling.
● Manage daily winemaking production, blending, finishing and storage goals
● Manage and direct winemaking practices to ensure optimal product quality and style profile
● Organize and adhere to winemaking activities and schedules to ensure wines meet bottling schedule while maintaining 100% compliance with all company and regulatory guidelines
● Identify aromas and flavors in wines and recommend treatments to improve wine quality
● Address supply / demand issues to help ensure that blends reach targeted run-out date and bulk inventory is balanced
● Interpret information to solve problems and resolve winemaking issues to achieve winemaking targets
● Audit inventory and QA reports to ensure wine quality and compliance within wine records database
● Analyze, interpret and communicate technical information to production staff
● Apply knowledge of industry trends to improve quality, efficiency and experimental procedures
● Execute research, experimentations, and trials
● Engage with vineyard team to execute picking schedules
● Develop winemaking protocols and work with each Production team to implement and establish best winemaking practice
● Minimum B.A. or B.S. in enology, food science, chemistry or related fields or equivalent experience required
● Minimum 5 years experience working as an Assistant Winemaker or Winemaker
● Intimate knowledge of wine quality metrics
● Thorough understanding of cellar processes and equipment
● Must be willing to work flexible, long, and varying hours
● Excellent communication skills, written and verbal to be able to communicate clearly and coordinate work across different departments. Spanish language skills a plus.
● High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office especially Excel
● Positive, creative, flexible, and innovative team player, with an intense passion for wine and the ability to maintain a “can do” attitude
● Ability to manage change and adapt to a quick-changing environment
Compensation and Benefits: This is a full-time, salaried position with bonus and benefits.